When you have young kids, sometimes the best holiday decorations are the ones that include their involvement in creating them. This can also be quite fun for the rest of the family too!
For Thanksgiving in particular, a great deal of time is usually dedicated to prep, cooking, serving and entertaining guests. This usually results in any type of elaborate table decorating getting pushed to the bottom of the priority list rather quickly.
So why not create a personalized tablecloth of your own that will not only spruce up your table, but also get your family involved and allow you to still spend most of your time doing the most important chore of the day: basting!
To get started, you will need:
1 plain white cotton fabric tablecloth – shape and size to fit your style table
1 plastic disposable tablecloth of similar shape and size
Tape that will not harm your table’s finish (masking, painters)
1 pack of Sharpie Stained Brush Tip Fabric Markers (can be purchased on Amazon, Staples, Walmart, etc.) or any other fabric markers that do not wash off of cotton fabric
1. Before setting your table for the big turkey dinner, lay the plastic tablecloth down, ensuring that it covers the entire surface of the table.
2. Tape the plastic tablecloth to various spots underneath of the table to make sure that it does not slip or move off of the table – this step is very important as you do not want the fabric markers to bleed through the fabric tablecloth that will be laid over it and ruin your tabletop!
3. Lay the fabric tablecloth over the plastic.
4. Using the fabric markers, write a note or saying of your choosing in the middle of the fabric tablecloth. It doesn’t have to look perfect, but I suppose you could use stencils if you really wanted to.
Some examples of what you could write:
Whatever fits your family best. You could even freehand a few turkeys or something else Thanksgiving related if you’re feeling really adventurous and artistic.
5. Help your children to use the fabric markers to write a “I’m thankful for” message directly on the tablecloth. Encourage them to draw a small picture, trace their hand and make a hand-turkey, sign their name and also put their age or the year next to it. Make sure it’s not too big, you want to save room for other thankful messages for many Thanksgiving dinners to come! If you have guests joining you, ask them to write a message as well. How fun will it be to look back and see all of the friends and family who celebrated with you over the years. Keep adding new messages every year and watch your white canvas turn into a real work of (meaningful) art.
Be sure to follow all washing instructions on the fabric markers package when cleaning your tablecloth. Most just ask that you wash in cold water and hang to dry.
So there you have it! Your very own personalized Thanksgiving table decoration that you can continue to add to and enjoy!